Travel documents

Check that your passport is still valid. It must be valid for three months past the date that you intend to leave New Zealand.

Travel arrangements

You will need to make your own travel arrangements to New Zealand. Please try to arrive at least 1-2 weeks before the start of class to allow enough time for settling-in, adjusting to the climate and overcoming jet-lag.
Restricted or prohibited goods

Pests and diseases can be brought into New Zealand in your baggage. Our borders are strictly controlled to protect our environment and agriculture. Do not bring any food, animal products, plants or parts of plants with you. If you do, then you must declare it on your arrival card and at Customs.
Drugs and medication

Do not bring illegal drugs into New Zealand – you will be arrested. If you need to bring medication with you that contains narcotics (drugs), carry a doctor’s certificate saying the medication is necessary and is being used under doctor’s instructions. This will avoid possible problems with New Zealand Customs. Doctor’s prescriptions are also needed to obtain certain drugs in New Zealand.
Driving in New Zealand

We drive on the LEFT side of the road. You must be familiar with our driving rules before you arrive. You must always carry your license with you when you are driving.
You can drive in New Zealand:

For a maximum of one year if you have a driver’s licence from your home country or an international driving permit (IDP) as long as you drive the same type of vehicle you drove in your home country; thereafter You will need to apply for a New Zealand driver’s licence.

You can easily exchange your foreign currency at most banks, some hotels and bureau de change kiosks. You can find these at the airport and in most shopping malls, including the Post Shop. All major credit cards can be used in New Zealand.
Exchange rates

Most major banks provide current exchange rates for the New Zealand dollar.

You can calculate the approximate value of your currency in New Zealand Dollars on the currency converter. The rate you are offered in your home country is likely to differ slightly.


Electricity is supplied throughout New Zealand at 220 / 240 volts, 50 hertz. For all other equipment, you’ll need an adapter / converter, unless the item has a multi-voltage option.

Power outlets only accept flat three or two-pin plugs, depending on whether an earth connection is fitted. You may have a hairdryer, electric razor, or other small appliance that you use regularly. Make sure that they will work here before you add them to your baggage.
Laptop computers

You will need an RJ45 type plug to connect your laptop into a computer socket in New Zealand, and an adaptor with a flat two or three-point power plug to connect to the power supply.
Mobile phones

If your phone can not be used here, leave it behind. You will be able to buy one at a reasonable price. The major providers are Telecom, Skinny, 2 Degrees and Vodafone.

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at:
Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed on their website at
Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at
Travel and Medical Insurance

International students MUST have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. Students must be able to provide evidence of their medical and travel insurance and the signatory must keep a record of the type of cover each student has.